This past week I have had a chance to reflect on the feedback I received from my peers about the course profile, course shell, and first module design. The course shell came together fairly quickly as I found Canvas quite easy to use. It is mostly intuitive. Based on the feedback from my peers I will do some more investigating and see if there are ways to “spruce it up” – I agree that adding more visual appeal would help enhance the content a bit. Being that the course will be blended, I’ve tried to utilize the LMS to deliver content that doesn’t require me to be physically present with the students or as a way to organize the supplementary information that is beneficial to the students’ learning about the literature we are studying. My peers gave some great feedback on how to keep doing this effectively and assured me that I am on the right track.
My course modules that were reviewed were said to be thorough! Phew! It was so hard to know how much was TOO much content and how much would be too little. Knowing that the goal is a blended course, I am confident moving forward with the next phase of this project that as long as I include the information I think they need, I can adapt to fit my students’ needs and can clarify or explain issues or concerns in class.
One small criticism was with the amount of information that is included on the AP Essay Rubric. I agree there seems to be a lot of information on the rubric and would never give a rubric this detailed normally! Our AP students are taught this Rubric in depth and it is used by our entire AP vertical team throughout AP grade 10, 11, and 12 classes. Looking at it from an outside perspective, however, I agree that there might be some tweaking we could do to make it look less intimidating. I will chat with my AP team about this!
A suggestion that I may look into is importing my character relationships video to EdPuzzle so that I can add some questions about the character content. I do have some paper worksheets and other activities that I use to help students keep the characters straight and the video is more of an auditory/visual help to enhance that learning. However, the suggestion has me thinking that I could combine the video and other things I do into one activity. I am going to think more on this!
I am so thankful to have incredible classmates and want to thank Altan, Amy R, and Brad for the relevant and helpful feedback they provided for me about my course profile, shell, and module. I’m excited to continue building this course!